PFLAG Brisbane is committed to protecting your privacy and the confidentiality of your personal information.
About the PFLAG Brisbane
Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) ABN 56 354 724 462 is an international LGBTI peer support group that has been operating in Australia for over 30 years.
PFLAG’s goals are to support parents with peer support, written resources, group meetings and a helpline.
We advocate for our sons and daughters rights by lobbying State and Federal Governments and community education with awareness campaigns and public speaking when requested.
Our motto is “keeping families united”
Information that we collect and maintain
Personal information that we collect and hold may include your name, title, date of birth, address, other contact information, name of the organisation you work for, workplace location, committee membership, qualifications and information about your opinions, policies, statements and writings.
Why we collect personal information
We only collect, use and maintain personal information that is reasonably necessary for the performance of our legitimate functions and activities.
Generally, we collect use and maintain personal information in order to:
- Enable us to contact our member organisations about matters relating to their membership;
- Ensure that the services we provide and programmes we run are relevant to the needs of our members, including carrying out surveys and other research;
- Represent members and publicise to the community issues of concerns;
- Lobby government agencies and other relevant bodies about matters of concern to our member organisations;
- Identify, understand and respond to policies, ideas and opinions of our members;
- Communicate with our members and other organisations and individuals in the context of our work as an industry representative organisation.
How we collect personal information
We may collect personal information from you directly. We may also collect personal information from other sources such as oral sources and correspondence and other written material sent to us, as well as information from publicly available sources such as newspapers, electronic media, records or proceedings and public registers.
Disclosure of your personal information
We will use and disclose your personal information for the primary purpose for which it was collected. We may also use and disclose your personal information for related or ancillary purposes (such as invoicing, sending invitations to seminars and other events, market research, and to improve our service and communications).
We may disclose personal information to:
- Our member organisations;
- Those organisations as required or authorised by law;
- Your representatives, including your legal advisers;
- Our representatives, such as our legal advisers;
- Service providers such as printers and posting services and organisations involved in the provision and maintenance of our business systems and infrastructure; and
Those organisations where you have given your consent.
- We do not disclose personal information we collect to third parties for the purpose of allowing them to direct market their products and services.
Where your personal information is disclosed, we will seek to ensure that the information is held, used or disclosed consistently with the National Privacy Principles and other applicable laws and codes.
Management of your personal information
PFLAG Brisbane stores personal information collected about you securely, having regard to its nature and source. Information is safeguarded against modification, loss and misuse. Access is only allowed to those members of our staff and management who are authorised, and then only for the purpose for which it was collected.
PFLAG Brisbane will delete from its records personal information that is no longer required. We will ensure that deletion of information is carried out securely.
- How you can access and amend your personal information
You may request access to your personal information held by PFLAG Brisbane. You may also request that your personal information be up-dated or corrected.
If we hold information about you that you are legally entitled to access, we will provide you with that information on request within a reasonable period of time, if we are able to do so. There are some exceptions to our general obligation to give you access to your personal information held by us—for instance, if it would be unlawful for us to do so, or if your request is frivolous or vexatious, or if the information is relevant to a legal dispute, and in some other circumstances.
PFLAG Brisbane will also take reasonable steps to correct your personal information held by us to ensure that that information is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
You can request access to your personal information, or that your personal information be updated or corrected, by writing to us at the address provided below (see Contact details).
Changes to this policy
Complaints about privacy
If you believe we have breached your privacy, you may make a complaint to us (see Contact details below). PFLAG Brisbane will promptly acknowledge and investigate all complaints.
Further information about privacy
Further information about privacy law and your rights can be found on the Commonwealth Government Privacy Commissioner’s website (www.privacy.gov.au).